Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Crustless quiche

I am still trying to use the food in the cupboard, I had made some bread but used it all up so needed to buy a loaf. I don't want to buy a breadmix packet because I'm waiting to check out Lauke's mill when I move (to buy bread mix in bulk). I just can't seem to go to the shop for one thing I end up buying more items, I will need to change this habit!

I came home and have made my crustless quiche which tastes very nice. For a small flan dish butter two pieces of bread, preferably grainy, cut into small pieces and lay in the greased flan. Cut two rashers of bacon into small pieces lay on top of bread. Mix together three free range eggs, half a cup of skim or soy milk and half a small tub of ricotta cheese, season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over bacon, making sure that all bread has been moistened. Can cut up a couple of pieces of sundried tomato and sprinkle over if desired. Cover flan with plastic wrap and put into fridge, leave this overnight or at least a few hours.

When ready to bake take plastic wrap off and place in moderate oven for about 40 minutes. Side dish of oven baked chips and peas is nice. This is a cheap feed probably costing about $5 enough to feed two adults.

Variation: use small tin of salmon and creamed corn; spinach, ricotta and sprinkling of pinenuts is also nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment